Terms & Conditions
Questacon - The National Science and Technology Centre (a Division of the Department of Industry, Science and Resources, Commonwealth of Australia) (referred to in these terms as "we", "us" or "our") owns and operates this Website (https://shop.questacon.edu.au/).
We reserve the right to update these Terms at any time without notice. Your continued use of the Website after any changes to these Terms will mean you accept those changes.
Information on this Website
Information on this Website is subject to change without notice.
Care has been taken to ensure that the products, and descriptions and images of them and their packaging, on this Website are accurate and up to date. We do not promise or represent that content on the Questacon Online Shop is accurate or free from errors or omissions and we reserve the right to make any necessary corrections.
In particular, we note that the colours shown on the Website may not exactly represent the colours of our products because the colours you see on the Website depend on the colour reproduction on your computer or mobile device.
The materials displayed on this Website, including all images, text, graphics, names, logos and trademarks, are the property of Questacon, or its licensors, and are protected by copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws. Questacon does not grant any licence or right in, or assign all or part of, its intellectual property rights in the content or applications incorporated into the Website or in the user interface of the Website.
Any such content may be displayed and printed solely for your personal and non-commercial use. You agree not to reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material to any third party without the prior written consent of Questacon.
This Website may contain links to third-party websites and resources.
Links to external websites are provided for your convenience, but do not constitute an endorsement or a recommendation of any material on those websites or of any third-party products or services offered by, from or through those websites. Questacon makes no representations or warranties whatsoever for any aspect of those websites or their content.
Pricing and Taxes
All prices for products displayed on this Website are in Australian dollars (AUD) and are inclusive of Australian Goods and Services Tax ('GST'). Prices are subject to change without notice and we reserve the right to amend any pricing errors. Pricing in the Questacon Online Shop may differ from prices available in the Questacon physical shop.
Prices displayed online are exclusive of Delivery Charges (and any Additional Delivery Charges, where applicable).
For more information regarding Delivery Charges visit Shipping & Delivery.
We accept Visa and MasterCard. We do not accept payment by cheque nor do we currently offer payment platforms such as PayPal, Afterpay, Klarna or Zip Pay.
Questacon uses a contracted service provider (eway) to securely process your online credit card payments. We do not record or store your credit card details.
Information about eway payment security can be found at: https://www.eway.com.au/advanced-cybersecurity/
Questacon does not warrant and cannot ensure the security of information during transit over the Internet. Accordingly, any information which you transmit to us is transmitted at your own risk.
You must take your own precautions to ensure that the process which you employ for accessing this Website does not expose you to risk of viruses, malicious computer code or other forms of interference which may damage your computer system and contains appropriate protection to prevent damage to your computer system caused by viruses, malicious computer code or other forms of interference.
When you interact with the Questacon Online Shop, we may ask for your personal information. Without this information, we may be unable to provide you with the products and services you have requested. Your personal information is collected, used and stored in accordance with our Privacy Statement.
The Australian Consumer Law (“ACL”) protects consumers by giving them certain guaranteed rights when they buy goods and services.
For example, the ACL requires that goods must be free of defects and do what they are meant to do. Services must be carried out with care and skill. These rights, which the ACL says automatically apply whenever goods or services are supplied to a consumer, are called ‘Consumer Guarantees’.
Under the ACL, these Consumer Guarantees cannot be excluded. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of “acceptable quality” and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
Consumer Guarantees have no set time limit but generally last for an amount of time that is reasonable to expect given factors including the cost and quality of the product or any representations made.
For more information see Returns and refunds.
Returns and refunds
If you are not completely happy with your purchase, please contact us within 30 days of receiving your order or making an in-store purchase and we will happily provide an exchange or refund, provided the product:
- is still in its original and saleable condition with original packaging intact.
- has not been worn or used and, if a perishable product, is not expired.
- Is not a personalised item, digital download, gift card or sale item.
Return shipping costs for non-faulty items are the responsibility of the customer and are subject to a flat rate shipping fee of $11.00.
Exchanges may take up to 5 business days to process, excluding shipping times.
Refunds will be processed upon receipt of the returned item back to store. It may take may tup to 5 business for the refund to appear in your bank account.
If the problem is major, you are entitled to a replacement, repair or refund. Examples of major failure are when the product:
- has a problem that would have stopped you buying it had you known about it;
- is unsafe;
- is significantly different from the description of the product; or
- doesn’t do what we said it would do,
but does not include damage caused by misuse or returns simply due to change of mind.
If the problem is not major, we may choose to give you a free repair instead of a replacement or refund if this is possible.
If we cannot repair the product within a reasonable time, you can choose a refund or replacement. We reserve the right to refuse to provide a refund, repair or replacement if the problem has, for instance, arisen because the product was misused by the customer.
Proof of purchase
For more information visit Returns & Refunds.
Feedback, enquiries and reviews
Questacon welcomes constructive feedback and comments so that we can continue to improve our products and services to consumers. Please contact the Questacon Shop team if you have any concerns or enquiries:
Phone: +61 2 6270 2889
Mail: Questacon Shop
PO Box 5322
Kingston ACT Australia 2604
If you are enquiring about an existing order, please include your order confirmation number to facilitate faster response times to you.
Please be advised that online reviews and comments posted by you about products for sale in the Questacon Online Shop are not confidential or proprietary, and Questacon is under no obligation to keep such information confidential. You grant Questacon an unrestricted, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty free right to use, communicate, reproduce, publish, display, distribute and exploit such comments in any manner Questacon chooses, including to improve our service and delivery.
Disclaimer of warranties
Questacon makes no representations or warranties about the accuracy, completeness, security or timeliness of the content, information or services provided by this Website and disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, non-infringement of third parties’ rights, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Governing law and severability
These Terms are governed by and are to be construed in accordance with the laws of the Australian Capital Territory, Australia. By entering into a contract of sale, both parties accept the jurisdiction of the courts of the Australian Capital Territory in relation to any dispute between them.
If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of law, such invalidity or unenforceability will not affect the remainder of the Terms which will continue in full force and effect.
General Conditions for Sale
The following Conditions of Sale shall apply to any product sold on this Website:
- An Order submitted by you is an offer by you to purchase a particular product for the price (including Delivery Charges, Additional Delivery Charges (if applicable), transactions fees and taxes) specified on the Website at the you place your Order and shall be understood to be placed under these Conditions of Sale.
- Questacon reserves the right to accept or reject your offer for any reason, including, without limitation, an error in the product description or the price posted on the Website, the availability of the product, or an error in your Order.
- The products available on this Website for sale under these Conditions of Sale are only available for sale to individuals who can make legally binding contracts. By placing your order you represent to Questacon that you are able to make a legally binding contract. If you are under the age of eighteen (18), please ensure you have the permission of a parent or guardian before proceeding to checkout.
- Your contract with Questacon only comes into existence when Questacon sends you an email containing confirmation of receipt of your Order, an acceptance of your Order, confirmation of receipt of your payment and details of likely delivery.
- If you place an Order for someone else to receive the product(s), you must obtain their consent before providing the Questacon with their personal information and, by placing an Order, you confirm to us that you have done this.
- Please ensure that you enter all information carefully (including the quantities ordered and shipping address) before placing an Order, as we cannot modify or cancel an Order once the Order has been processed. Please contact us immediately if you need to modify an Order and we will endeavour to help you.
- Except to the extent otherwise required by law, Questacon will not be liable to you, or any other person, for any loss, damage, cost or expense suffered as a direct or indirect result of your Order information being incomplete or inaccurate or as a result of being unable to change or cancel your Order once it has been accepted by Questacon.
- Where you order more than one product in one Order, all products will be dispatched together where practicable. However, in some cases products may be dispatched separately.
- Where a product becomes unavailable, but that item is ordered by You before Questacon has withdrawn that item from the Questacon Online Shop, You will be advised by email or telephone that Questacon cannot fulfil your order and the purchase price of the item in question will be refunded.
- If the Website states that there is a limit on the number of products that you can place an Order for, your Order cannot exceed that limit. Questacon may not accept an Order for commercial quantities of products (if you wish to order commercial quantities of products, please contact us).
- The internet can be an unstable, and sometimes insecure, marketplace. At times the facility to place Orders may not be available, your Order might not be received, your Order may be lost or misdirected, or your Order might be delayed. Questacon shall not be responsible for non-delivery or delay in delivery of any products due to causes beyond its control, including, but not limited to acts of God, acts of Government authorities, strikes, natural disasters, recognised pandemic or epidemic outbreaks, terrorist acts, external telecommunications failure, and/or failure of transport systems.
- To the extent permitted by the Australian Consumer Law, you assume all risks and liabilities for consequences arising from the use of the products whether singly or in combination with other goods and indemnify Questacon in respect of any such use.
- Nothing in these Conditions of Sale is intended to exclude, restrict or modify any statutory obligation of Questacon implied by the Sale of Goods Act 1923 and Australian Consumer Law (contained in Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010).
Promotional Terms & Conditions
- All Promotional Offers are subject to the Conditions of Sale as well as these Promotional Terms & Conditions and any specific terms listed for each type of promotion below. In the event of any ambiguity or inconsistency, these Promotional Terms & Conditions prevail.
- Promotional offers are not valid in combination with any other discounts, coupons or offers, or applicable to prior purchases.
- Promotional Offers cannot be applied retroactively to previously placed Orders or to Orders that have been adjusted.
- Promotional products are available only while supplies last; we do not issue rain checks for products that run out of stock.
- Sale items are explicitly excluded from the application of any additional discounts or promotions.
- Discount percentages do not apply to Delivery Charges or Additional Delivery Charges.
- Questacon reserves the right to extend or terminate a Promotional Offers at any time.
- Questacon reserves the right to change these Promotional Terms & Conditions without notice.
Q Club members receive 10% off full-priced products at the Questacon Shop and Questacon Online Shop.
To enjoy your exclusive Q Club Member discount, simply present your valid membership card during check-out for in-store purchases. Our staff will apply the discount to your eligible items, ensuring you enjoy the benefits of your memberships.
For online purchases, enter your unique members discount code at the checkout. To activate your discount code, please contact the Questacon Shop team for assistance.
For information on how to become a Q Club member, please visit https://www.questacon.edu.au/visiting/q-club.
Staff members employed by Questacon or the Australian Space Discovery Centre receive a 15% discount off full-priced products at the Questacon Shop and Questacon Online Shop.
To enjoy your exclusive staff discount, simply present your valid staff pass during check-out for in-store purchases. Our staff will apply the discount to your eligible items.
For online purchases, enter your unique staff discount code at the checkout. To activate your discount code, please contact the Questacon Shop team for assistance.
2024 UC Cultural Pass
UC Cultural Pass holders receive a 10% discount off full-priced products at the Questacon Shop and Questacon Online Shop.
To enjoy your exclusive UC Cultural Pass discount, simply present your valid UC Student ID card with the UC Cultural Pass sticker during check-out for in-store purchases. Our staff will apply the discount to your eligible items, ensuring you enjoy the benefits of your pass.
For online purchases, enter your unique UC Cultural Pass discount code at the checkout. To activate your discount code, please contact the Questacon Shop team for assistance.
This offer entitles you to a sale discount on products included within the “Sale” category on the Questacon Online Shop.
The sale promotional offer does not apply instore or to any other products or categories. Sales discounts are valid for a limited time only and are subject to availability of products.
All sale items, whether purchases instore or online, are final sale. We cannot provide refunds, returns or exchanges on these items, unless the item is faulty. If a sale item is faulty, we will replace the item, or refund you the purchase price if the product is out of stock and no longer available.
Click & Collect
- Click & Collect orders are available exclusively online and apply to items currently in stock.
- Orders are subject to availability.
- Orders are typically ready for collection within 24-hours of being placed, excluding peak periods or promotional events, during which processing times may be extended.
- Customers will be notified via email, text, or phone-call once their Click & Collect order is ready for collection.
- Collection requires the presentation of a valid photo ID (driver’s licence, passport, proof of age card) along with the order confirmation.
- Customers have the option to nominate someone else for order collection.
- To nominate an alternative person to collect your order, email us with 24 hours notice, providing the name of the designated person for collection.
- Customers acknowledge associated risks, and Questacon will not be held accountable for any issues arising from nominated collection.
- Orders must be collected within 19 calendar days from the order fulfilment date.
- Failure to collect within this period will result in automatic order cancellation and refund.
- Refunds for uncollected orders will be processed in accordance with our refund policy.
- If additional time is needed for collection, please contact us.
- Customers are responsible for keeping their contact information updated for efficient communication.
Questacon Gift Card Terms & Conditions
- "Activate" means the initial loading of value onto a Gift Card.
- "Expiry Date" means the date, being three (3) years from the date of purchase of the Gift Card, after which any Remaining Gift Card Value will not be available for redemption.
- "Gift Card" means a Questacon Gift Card issued in conventional plastic form that you have either purchased or received.
- "Questacon" means the Commonwealth of Australia as represented by Questacon, a division of the Department of Industry, Science and Resources (ABN: 74 599 608 295).
- "Questacon Parkes" means Questacon - the National Science and Technology Centre located at King Edward Terrace, Parkes ACT 2600.
- "Questacon Shop" means the physical Questacon shop located at Questacon Parkes.
- "Questacon Ticket Desk" means the front ticket desk located at Questacon Parkes.
- "Remaining Gift Card Value" means, at any time, that portion of the initial value loaded onto your Gift Card which is unspent and which can be accessed by using the Gift Card in accordance with these Terms & Conditions.
- "Terms & Conditions" means the Terms & Conditions set out herein and the Terms & Conditions on the back of the Gift Card.
- a reference to "you" or "your" is a reference to the person who is taken to agree to these Terms & Conditions under Clause 2; and
- except where the contrary intention is expressed, the singular includes the plural and vice versa.
Agreeing to the Terms & ConditionsThese Terms & Conditions apply to all Gift Cards issued by Questacon. You agree to be bound by these Terms & Conditions by purchasing a Gift Card. You will continue be bound by these terms when activating, redeeming or attempting to redeem a Gift Card. If you are giving a Gift Card to another person, you must ensure that the recipient is aware of these Terms & Conditions that apply to the Gift Card, including when the Gift Card’s Expiry Date.
Redeeming the Gift Card
Gift Cards are only redeemable at Questacon Parkes in the Questacon Shop, or at the Questacon Ticket Desk. Gift Cards may only be used to purchase Questacon memberships, shop products or entry tickets purchased at the door in Questacon Parkes.
Gift Cards are not redeemable at the Questacon Online Shop, Atomic Café or Questacon special events and programs.
Gift Cards may not be exchanged (wholly or partly) for cash.
If the relevant order exceeds the Remaining Gift Card Value, then you will be required to pay for the difference in price between the Remaining Gift Card Value and the retail price of the goods or services. No change will be given for any Remaining Gift Card Value. The Remaining Gift Card Value may be used in whole or part against future purchases until the Expiry Date.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Gift Cards
Treat your Gift Card like cash. Lost or stolen Gift Cards will not be replaced or refunded. The bearer of the Gift Card will be taken to be the owner of the Gift Card. Please contact Questacon immediately if your Gift Card has been lost or stolen.
Questacon reserves the right to refuse to redeem your Gift Card if:
- Your Gift Card has been reported as lost, stolen, damaged or deleted;
- Questacon believes (or reasonably suspects) that you have used (or will use) your Gift Card contrary to these Terms and Conditions; or
- Questacon has identified an error in regards to the available balance of your Gift Card.
If Questacon suspects any fraud relating to a Gift Card, Questacon may in its sole discretion refuse to redeem the Gift Card.
Questacon may re-issue a faulty or damaged Gift Card only where the fault or damage to the Gift Card is proven to be a result of the production process or otherwise due to the fault of Questacon. All other faulty or damaged Gift Cards will not be re-issued.
You are responsible for the use and safety of your Gift Card, and are liable for all transactions made using your Gift Card.
You have certain rights under the Australian consumer legislation which cannot be excluded and are not affected by these Terms & Conditions. Except for those statutory rights, any conditions implied by any other laws are excluded from these Terms & Conditions.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, Questacon will not be liable to you for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect or consequential) howsoever caused, nor will Questacon be in default under these Terms & Conditions, for failure to observe or perform any of Questacon's obligations under these Terms & Conditions for any reason or cause except if caused by Questacon's gross negligence.
To the extent permitted by law, if Questacon is liable to you, Questacon's maximum aggregate liability to you is limited to the Remaining Gift Card Value on your Gift Card.
Changes to Terms & Conditions
Errors and Complaints
If you have questions or if you wish to make a complaint about your Gift Card, please contact the Questacon Shop team:
Phone: +61 2 6270 2889
Shipping and delivery for Gift Cards
Gift Cards purchased online via Questacon's website may incur an additional delivery fee.
Orders are sent by standard parcel post through Australia Post. This does not include insurance or registered mail of any kind. Orders can be sent to residential or business addresses as well as PO boxes within Australia.
Questacon endeavours to process all orders within 48 hours. Questacon cannot guarantee delivery dates.
Questacon is committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act 1988(Cth).
Questacon's privacy notice explains how Questacon handles personal information that may be collected from you with respect to Gift Cards. Questacon's privacy notice is available online at https://www.industry.gov.au/publications/privacy-policy or by calling Questacon on (02) 6270 2800.
If you are purchasing a Gift Card on behalf of someone else and you provide Questacon with another person's personal information for the purposes of issuing the Gift Card, you are warranting that you have the other person's consent to do so. You must also provide that other person with a copy of these Terms & Conditions which includes details of how personal information will be handled.
These Terms & Conditions are to be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Any dispute in connection with a Gift Card is exclusively subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the ACT.
Last updated: 29 January 2024