Your personal information is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
Questacon within the Department of Industry, Science and Resources (Questacon) collects, uses and discloses your personal information for the purpose of processing your purchase, enabling the checkout process for products to be purchased, product and service provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, enabling the contact of customers in relation to their online orders and product and market research.
Types of personal information collected
When you place your online order, Questacon will collect your personal information to process your purchase, including:
- IP address;
- your full name;
- billing and shipping address;
- phone number;
- email address; and
- recipient’s name, address and email address.
Without this information Questacon will be unable to process your purchase.
How collection occurs
Questacon will collect personal information directly from you or another person, and only to the extent necessary to provide the product or service you requested, or to carry out our internal administrative operations or meet relevant regulatory requirements. If you choose to not provide your personal information when requested, we may not be able to deliver the product or service that you have requested.
Questacon may collect personal information directly from you or another person as part of processing your purchase. We collect this personal information from you at the time you submit your purchase request.
When do we collect your information from others?
We will not obtain consent from a recipient to the collection of their personal information in circumstances where they are not the purchaser because it is impracticable for us to do so.
How do we use and disclose your personal information?
Questacon may use or disclose your personal information for purposes, including:
- to provide the product or service you requested;
- to carry out our internal administrative operations;
- to meet relevant regulatory requirements;
- enabling the checkout process for products to be purchased;
- invoicing and billing;
- identification and authentication, services improvement;
- enabling the contact of customers in relation to online orders; and
- product and market research.
Do we use your personal information for marketing purposes?
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes. However, Shopify, the contracted service provider of the Questacon Shop, will use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes only:
- provide merchants with our services, and enable them to operate their business—e.g., to allow them to complete a transaction, screen orders for fraud and risk, fulfil orders, and contact you with new products or offers
- provide merchants with our services, and enable them to operate their business (e.g., to provide them with analytics about how many people visit their store, and to help them troubleshoot and improve their store)
Eway, a contracted service provider of the Questacon Shop, will use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes only:
- Establish an Eway account and a merchant account at a financial institution;
- Manage an existing payment gateway and merchant relationship;
- Engage in direct marketing to you (in any medium);
- Testimonials and client/partner listings on our website and within marketing materials; and
- Inform third parties other than financial institutions who provide us services.
Use or disclosure will be in compliance with the Privacy Act and our third-party service providers will always provide a simple means by which you can request not to receive direct marketing.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We will disclose your personal information outside Questacon in order to process your purchase, to the following entities, bodies or persons:
- IP Payments;
- St George Bank; and
Third-party privacy policies
We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google LLC (Google), to help improve the efficiency and usability of this website.
Google uses this information to evaluate your use of our website, compile reports on website activity, and provide other website and internet usage services. Google may transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where they process information on Google’s behalf.
Links to other websites
Will we send your personal information overseas?
In purchasing from the Questacon Online Shop, customers consent to their personal information being disclosed to overseas recipients:
- Shopify is an overseas entity;
- Eway has subsidiaries in the UK, New Zealand, U.S.A. and Canada and may disclose customers personal and corporate information to recipients in these regions.
If you consent to these disclosures, we are not required to take reasonable steps to ensure that Shopify and Eway subsidiaries do not breach the APPs. Before you provide your consent, you need to consider that Shopify and Eway subsidiaries are overseas entities which are not subject to, or accountable under, the Privacy Act. Should they breach the APPs, you may not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act and may not be able to seek redress in any foreign jurisdiction. Shopify and Eway subsidiaries may also be subject to a foreign law which compels them to disclose your personal information to a third party such as an overseas authority.
If the information Google Analytics collects constitutes your personal information, by your use of the website you consent to the collection of this information and its disclosure overseas. Before you provide your consent, you need to consider the implications of Google being an overseas entity, which are outlined above.
We may also be required to disclose your personal information to an overseas entity by or under an Australian law or court order or if another exception exists under the Privacy Act.
How do you find out more about our privacy practices?
- how and why we may collect your personal information
- how it is used
- when and how we might share it with others
- how you can access and seek to correct your personal information
To find out more about how we manage personal information and for any assistance with completing the template, please email our Privacy Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From time to time, we will review and revise this privacy collection notice. We reserve the right to amend this notice at any time.
Date last updated: October 27, 2022